Wednesday 14 March 2012

Biodiversity Gone Wild...in the Gold Coast Seaway!

Marbled Rockcod (Epinephelus maculatus). Photo: Ryan Pearson
By Ryan Pearson
I went for a dive in the seaway on Saturday, and ran into a whole bunch of fishes I'd never photographed before. Recently, I went through all of my underwater photo's and catalogued every marine species I have taken pictures of... to a grand total of 143 species in just over 12 months of taking underwater photos. On Saturday, I added 12 more to that list (plus another 4 that I'm yet to identify)... here are a few of them.


Now, I don't think this was my best day of photography ever... in fact, these pics are far from it. But it was my first day in the water with my camera this year, and there were way too many fishy distractions to be too focused on my camera settings, so I'm putting it down to lack of practice. Anyway... 16 new fish in one day makes me keen as mustard to get back in there and get some better shots... which I will be doing on Friday. Anyone wanna come?
Australian Damsel (Pomacentrus australis). Photo: Ryan Pearson

Common Cleanerfish (Labroides dimidiatus)...yes, the one in the big fishes mouth. Photo: Ryan Pearson
TBD. Butterflyfish. Photo: Ryan Pearson

Diamondscale Goatfish (Parupeneus ciliatus). Photo: Ryan Pearson

Indo-Pacific Sergeant (Abdudefduf vaigiensis). Photo: Ryan Pearson

Yellow Emperor (Diploprion bifasciatum). Photo: Ryan Pearson
Sand Whiting (Sillago ciliata). Photo: Ryan Pearson
Fire Damsel (Pomacentrus bankanensis). Photo: Ryan Pearson

Silver Batfish (Monodactylus argenteus). Photo: Ryan Pearson

Yellow Emperor (Diploprion bifasciatum). Photo: Ryan Pearson

TBD. Photo: Ryan Pearson

On top of the new guys, there were also some old favourites...

Bengal Seargent (Abudefduf bengalensis). Photo: Ryan Pearson

Bigeye Trevally (Caranx sexfasciatus). Photo: Ryan Pearson

Dusky Butterflyfish (Chaetodon favirostris). Photo: Ryan Pearson

Stripey (Microcanthus strigatus). Photo: Ryan Pearson

No comments: